Wildlife Photography Blog - Giraffe
Wildlife Photography Blog: Giraffes Legs at Sunken Photography Hide – Photo taken at Indlovu River Lodge
This stunning photograph was taken here at Indlovu River Lodge at our sunken photographic hide by Anna-Mart Kruger from iCapture Photo Safaris. The photo is of a Giraffe’s legs, captured from ground level.
Some fun facts about the Giraffe: Characterized by its long legs, long neck, and distinctive spotted pattern, many people first believed the giraffe was a cross between a leopard and a camel, which is reflected in its scientific name, Giraffa camelopardalis.
Giraffes live primarily in savanna areas in the sub-Saharan region of Africa. Their extreme height allows them to eat leaves and shoots located much higher than other animals can reach. They seek out acacia trees. Their long tongues are helpful in eating because they help pull leaves from the trees.
Indlovu River lodge prides itself as one of only a handful of lodge’s in the whole of Africa which can boast unique, sunken photographic hides. These exceptional hides create the opportunity for photographers to capture close-up images, taken from the water level of the waterholes.
Our sunken photography hide offers the following to photographers:
- Shoot from a few mm above water level.
- Eye-level, wide angle.
- Adjustable director’s chairs on wheels for 4 persons plus guide.
- 4 Gimbals on independent but adjustable support system.
- Carpeted to minimise noise.
- Water holes regularly visited by Big 5 and wide variety of other animals and birds.
Due to the diversity of our hides you’ll require lenses covering the following focal length:
- Wide angle 12mm – telephoto up to 600mm
- Wide angle 12 – 30mm
- Mid-range telephoto 70 – 400mm
- Long telephoto 400 – 600mm
We offer the following photography package at Indlovu River Lodge:
- Accommodation, meals, house wine and beer, soft drinks, Wifi, gate entrance fees, TOMSA levy 1%, VAT 14%.
- 3 Game drives and 5 hide sessions
- Single R 16 500-00
- Sharing R 13 500-00
Click here for more information on the Photographic Safari Packages at Indlovu.
For more information about our next Photographic Course, contact Louisa at
Lodge: +27 (0) 15 383 9918 or on email: [email protected]